If you clicked on this article, you must be wondering does Greenlight work with Zelle? Keep reading to find out.
Greenlight is a financial service that is mainly targeted toward parents. Parents can use Greenlight App to manage and distribute funds to their children. In addition, children can use the funds through Greenlight cards in various parents-approved stores. The greenlight cards, however, have their limitations.
You must have tried using the greenlight cards with Zelle, which must not have worked. That is why you are reading this article. Do not worry; we got you covered on this one. The fact is, Greenlight does not work with Zelle. Unlike other peer-to-peer payment services, Zelle does not have a wallet, and you can connect only bank accounts to it.
But if you are receiving some funds in Zelle and want to fund that to your Greenlight account, there is an alternative way.
Does Greenlight Work With Zelle?
Greenlight is a platform specially designed to give parents control of their Children’s finances and financial habits. The platform restricts how the app and the cards are used. On top of that, the parents have restrictions placed on their children’s card usage.
One of the restrictions is on “Money orders and Transfers.” This restriction covers all the Peer-to-Peer payment services such as Venmo, Paypal, Cashapp, and Zelle.
But unlike Paypal or Venmo, there is no wallet in Zelle. Instead, any fund transferred to Zelle is directly received in the Bank. So whenever you want to fund Greenlight, you need to connect it to a bank account or debit card and not Zelle.
Zelle, as a peer-to-peer payment service, restricts anyone who is a minor from using its services. And since the greenlight cards are issued to minors, the use of Greenlight card with Zelle is not supported by Zelle either.
But if you have some funds coming in through Zelle and you want to transfer the fund to Greenlight card, there is a simple method you can use.
How To Use Zelle With Greenlight? [Best Solution]
As you now know, the answer to Does Greenlight Work With Zelle is a ‘No.’ Connecting Zelle to a Greenlight card is impossible, but you can easily transfer funds you receive on Zelle to Greenlight. The best solution to do the fund transfer is to use a bank account in between.
You can first connect a bank account to Zelle and receive the fund to the bank account. And then connect the same Bank or debit card to Greenlight to withdraw the fund. Again, this is a valid method, and you will not be breaking any terms and conditions of use on any of the two platforms.
This method is reliable and can be done over and over again. Since the only reason for connecting Greenlight card or any other card to Zelle is to receive funds, connecting a bank account instead and transferring it to Greenlight is not very different. Using this method can take a bit of time, but it works with complete ease and without any risk.
So, do not worry, and let’s start with the steps.
How To Transfer Zelle Balance To Greenlight?
As already stated, Zelle does not have a wallet and receives funds directly to the connected bank account. Transferring the balance to greenlight can be done in basically three steps:
- First, connect your bank account to Zelle And Receive the fund.
- Then, connect your bank account to greenlight and withdraw the fund to Greenlight.
- Transfer the fund to greenlight card.
Connect Bank Account To Zelle
Zelle is a joint venture of several US banks, so you need to ensure that your Bank supports Zelle directly. If you are unsure, this link will take you to the official Zelle website, where the partner banks are listed. There is a high chance that your Bank supports Zelle.
Once you are sure that your Bank supports Zelle, you can start with the below steps to receive the fund through Zelle to your bank account and transfer the fund to Greenlight cards.
- Download the Zelle app on your phone from Play Store or App Store for Android and iOS, respectively.
- Register For Zelle by simply selecting your Bank and providing your Name, Phone number, and Debit card information. Once you complete the process, you will automatically be registered and connect your bank account to Zelle.
Now you can directly receive the Zelle fund to the connected bank account.
Note: You cannot hold the fund on Zelle because Zelle does not have a wallet. It is a peer-to-peer money transfer service that connects several banks and allows inter-bank and intra-bank fund transfers.
Connect Bank Account To Greenlight And Withdraw The Fund To Greenlight
Now you need to connect the same bank account to the Greenlight account. Follow the steps below to connect a bank account to Greenlight.
- Open the Greenlight app on your phone. Download the app from Play Store or App Store if it is not installed.
- Now, you need to log into your Greenlight Account. Again, please ensure your log-in is secure and that you are not doing it in a public network.
- From the home screen of Greenlight app, click the settings icon on the right side. It will take you to the settings screen.
- From the settings menu list, select the option’ Funding Accounts‘.
- Here, you will see any other accounts you have connected for funding the Greenlight wallet. If the bank account you want to connect to is not on the list, click the ‘Add A Funding Account‘ option.
- Now, you need to choose the option “Add A Bank Instantly.”
- Now, you need to tap the ‘Get Started ‘ button to start linking Bank to your Greenlight account.
- Now, you need to choose the Bank Name in which you have your account and want to connect to your Greenlight wallet.
- Here, you will be asked to enter the bank information. Note: Confidential information sharing like Bank account linking and Fund Transferring should not be done in public WiFi. Make sure it is a private network.
- Now, you need to choose the verification method through which Greenlight will verify your bank account ownership. Once you choose the method, Greenlight will send a verification code to you through the method selected.
- After receiving the verification code, input it on the screen, and Greenlight will instantly verify your Bank account.
- After verifying, the app will direct you to the Parent’s dashboard on Greenlight, and you can now easily withdraw funds from the bank account to your Greenlight wallet. Just input the desired amount and click Load.
Note: Once you initiate the load, it will take 2-3 business days for the fund to arrive at your Greenlight account.
Transfer The Greenlight Fund To Greenlight Card
Once you have the fund in your Greenlight wallet, you can now transfer the fund to your children’s card. Follow the steps below to fund the Greenlight card.
- Open the Greenlight Parents Dashboard on your app or computer.
- Now tap on the ‘Send $’ next to the child you want to send money. Select the amount you want to send
- Choose where you want money to deposit: Spend Anywhere, General Savings or you can create your own spend control
- Finally, write the note if you want and click on the ‘Move Money’ button.
After all these steps, you will have successfully moved the Funding you received on your Zelle account to Greenlight card of your child.
Which Cards Can I Use In Zelle?
Zelle is a peer-to-peer payment service jointly used by several US banks. Bank account holders with these banks can use Zelle to do inter-bank and intra-bank transfers. Unlike other peer-to-peer payment services such as Venmo or PayPal, Zelle does not hold money and directly receives/sends funds to/from connected bank accounts.
Zelle, however, accepts both banks and debit cards when setting up the account. So you can use any of the cards issued by the Bank on the joint venture. The list includes several major and small banks and credit unions. There is a high probability that your Bank’s card is accepted because of the number of banks associated with Zelle.
However, banks outside the US are not supported. Zelle is a strictly US-only service and does not do international bank transfers. So, if a US-based bank has not issued your card, you may not be able to use Zelle.
Zelle: Things You Should Know
Zelle is a secure way of transferring money from your bank account to anyone. You can use the recipient’s email address or phone number to send money from Zelle. If the recipient is already enrolled in Zelle, the transfer will be immediate, and if the recipient has not enrolled, it usually takes 2-3 business days.
Zelle only works within the US banking system. So to join Zelle, you can use your bank account to register. But unlike other payment systems, Zelle receives and sends funds directly with bank accounts.
More than 7000 financial institutions support Zelle, and the number is growing day by day. Zelle is generally considered safe and secure. However, there are limits set by each Bank on how much you can transfer using Zelle in one day. Therefore, it is mostly beneficial for personal transactions rather than business transactions.
So, if you want a secure way of transferring funds to your friends and family, Zelle is the way to go.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can You Send Money To Someone With A Greenlight Card?
No, you cannot send money to someone with a Greenlight card. The Greenlight card is under the strict control of Parents, and also, Greenlight places restrictions on Payment and transfers using the card.
2. Is Greenlight A Bank Account?
No, Greenlight is not a bank account but a financial service. Therefore, Greenlight accounts need to be funded using a bank account and cannot be used like banks or other peer-to-peer payment services.
3. Can You Use A Greenlight Card On Xbox store?
Yes, you can use a Greenlight card on Xbox store like any other Mastercard. But if the parents have placed restrictions on using it on Xbox, you may not use it.
Therefore, you can only use Greenlight wallet and cards within the rules and restrictions of Parents and Greenlight. If you want to use Greenlight on Zelle, you cannot do so because of the various restrictions, such as the no-use policy in Payments and Transfers.
But if you want to transfer funds that you will receive in Zelle, you can do so by connecting a bank that you use with Zelle.
- Does Greenlight Work With PayPal in 2022?
- Can I Zelle Myself?
- [Answered] Can I Use Venmo Without a Bank Account
- Does Netspend Work With Zelle in 2022?
- Does Greenlight Work With Apple Pay in 2022?