Are you wondering why cant I download Snapchat?
The 21st century is all about the social media world and who has a large number of followers and friends on such platforms. Over the decades, we moved from using chatting platforms like MSN and Facebook Messenger to Instagram and Snapchat, which offer more visual content.
But with visual media comes the risk of your identity being stolen and other security threats. For years, many social media developers have devised multiple safety measures to address the issue, like the disappearing stories and snaps feature by Snapchat. Hence we observed a huge number of people moving to the platform.
But what if you can’t download Snapchat on your device? How are you supposed to keep up with all that’s been happening around you? Don’t worry! We’ve concluded this detailed guide for those looking for the answer to “Why can’t I download Snapchat?” From why you’re facing this issue to how to fix it, we’ve covered it all.
So without any delay, let’s get started!
Why Cant I Download Snapchat?
If you’ve recently decided to download the Snapchat app on your phone and came across an error like this, then you’re on the right page.
The error may occur anytime you try downloading Snapchat on your Apple or Android device. Moreover, there’s not one specific reason for this problem. Several causes can be associated with why you cannot download Snapchat to your phone.
The most common ones include your device not being compatible with the Snapchat app, a poor internet connection, excessive cache build-up of either the Google Play Store app or App Store app, a minor glitch or bug within the system, etc.
Reasons Behind Why Can’t I Download Snapchat
To help you get an idea of why you may not be able to download Snapchat, let’s take a look at each of the reasons in detail:
1. Your Internet Connection is Unstable.
One of the most popular reasons why you can’t download Snapchat on your device is a poor internet connection. The Snapchat app won’t be able to download to your phone if your internet connection is weak since the App Store and Play Store depend on an internet connection to function.
2. Your Device is Not Compatible With the Snapchat App.
The apps you download from the Play Store or App Store must be compatible with your phone’s software. If they’re not, it’s impossible to download them to your device. Therefore, an old or outdated iOS or OS version may sometimes be why you cannot download Snapchat to your phone.
3. A Bug in the App Store or Play Store App.
The functionality of the App Store or Play Store app may be hampered by a temporary bug, making it impossible to download the Snapchat app. If that’s the case, you won’t be able to download and install any app on your phone, not just Snapchat.
4. Build Up Cache.
The build-up cache of your App Store or Google Play Store may cause a hindrance when trying to download the Snapchat app and may show you the Can’t download Snapchat error. That’s why it is advisable that you free up the cache of your apps once in a while.
5. A Glitch in the Software.
Sometimes, a glitch in the software may be why you can’t download Snapchat on your device. If the glitch is permanent, only the software developers can correct it, which they’ll release through new version updates.
How to Fix Why Can’t I Download Snapchat
After learning all the reasons why you can’t download Snapchat on your phone, you may be interested in finding out how to resolve the problem. The next section of this guide will assist you in getting over the issue you’re facing as quickly as possible.
1. Check Your Internet Connection.
As stated earlier, App Store and Google Play Store apps require an active and strong internet connection to work and download apps. When the Wi-Fi you’re using has weak signals, the Snapchat app won’t get installed.
In order to fix the issue, you need to check the strength of your network connection. If it comes out to be weak, then try switching to mobile data or vice versa.
Here’s what you need to do to check your internet connection:
- Go to Speedtest by Ookla.
- Next, click on GO present in the center of the screen.
- The website will take some time to load, after which you’ll be able to view the speed of your internet connection, along with other things.
If your internet connection is poor, follow these steps to turn on mobile data:
- Head to Settings from your iPhone.
- Next, select Wi-Fi and turn the toggle off for Wi-Fi.
- Go back to Settings and choose Cellular Data.
- Finally, turn on the toggle for Cellular Data.
2. Restart Your Phone.
Before heading to more complex fixes, an easy and quick fix to your problem is to turn off your device and then restart it. Restarting your phone helps to get rid of all the temporary glitches that may be getting in the way of you downloading the Snapchat app. Therefore, it’s best to perform this method in the beginning so you can quickly resolve your issue.
Follow these steps below to restart an Android device:
- Press and hold the Lock button of your phone until a few options appear.
- Select Power off to turn off your device.
- Afterward, press and hold the Lock button again to turn it back on.
Here’s what you should do if you’re an Apple user:
- Start by pressing and holding the Side button.
- Once the slider appears, drag it all the way to the right to power off your device.
- To restart it, press and hold the Side button.
- Let go once the Apple logo shows up.
3. Clear Cache.
Another simple and quick fix is to clear the cache of the Play Store app. Cache is stored data of the app, which helps it to load faster on successive use. However, it tends to get full and needs to be cleared every now and then for the app to work efficiently.
Hence, if you’re still trying to solve your issue, you may want to clear the cache of the Google Play Store app from your device. Here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Go to the Settings app on your phone.
- Next, scroll down and choose Apps.
- Look for the Google Play Store app and tap on it.
- Then, select Storage.
- Lastly, tap on Clear cache from the bottom bar.
Once you’re done, try downloading the Snapchat app by going to the Play Store. If you still fail to do so, move to the next method.
4. Select the Correct Date and Time.
Generally, an incorrect time or date on your phone is associated with several errors. This may also include not being able to download Snapchat on your phone from either App Store or Play Store. That’s why you should always check the date and time on your device and change it if necessary. Additionally, you may set the time and date to change automatically, which will be helpful when traveling from one region to another.
To do so, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Settings app.
- Go to General, scroll down, and select Date & Time.
- Once in Date & Time settings, turn the toggle on for Set Automatically.
- Then, turn on the Airplane mode for a minute or so before turning it off. Now check if you can download the Snapchat app or not.
5. Update the Play Store App.
Similar to other apps on your phone, the Play Store app, too, gets version updates occasionally to eliminate bugs and improve user experience. So, if your issue is not fixed by following the methods above, it’s time to check for any updates of the Play Store app. If you find one available, simply update the app to its latest version.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open the Play Store app on your device.
- Next, tap on the Profile icon present in the top-right corner.
- Now, tap on Settings and choose About.
- Under the Play Store version, tap on Update Play Store.
6. Update the Software to the Latest Version.
If you’re using an outdated or old iOS, incompatibility issues may arise when trying to download the latest version of Snapchat available on the App Store. Therefore, you should keep your software updated to the newest version.
Here’s how you can check for any pending updates and install them on your device:
- Go to your phone’s Settings app.
- Then, select General.
- After that, click on Software Updates and wait for your phone to finish checking for any available updates.
- If there’s one available, tap on Download and install.
6. Reset Your Device.
Your last resort to the problem ‘why can’t I download Snapchat’ is to reset your device. This way, you’ll get rid of all of the bugs present within the system which may be preventing you from downloading Snapchat on your phone. It erases all of your phone’s settings and stored information, giving your device a fresh start.
Simply follow these steps:
- From the Settings app on your Apple device, go to General.
- Scroll down and select Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap on Reset.
- Finally, choose Reset All Settings.
7. Report Your Problem.
Even if resetting your phone didn’t work to fix the issue, now is the time to report your problem. If you feel the problem resides within the app, you may contact Snapchat Support. However, you may also report this problem to Apple. It may take a while for both of them to respond due to the huge amount of reports they receive in a day, so we suggest you wait patiently.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. Why do my snaps keep saying tap to load?
If you’re unable to view snaps and it keeps saying tap to load when you try to open them, you may need to force close the Snapchat app. If that doesn’t work, restart your device and head to Snapchat again. Hopefully, you will be able to see your friends’ snaps.
2. Why is Snapchat not working 2022?
There are various possible causes when it comes to your Snapchat not working. The problem may lie in your phone’s hardware or software, or there may be a glitch or bug within the app, etc. In order to get your Snapchat app to start working again, there are several fixes that you can try, such as restarting your device, clearing the cache, reinstalling Snapchat, etc.
Final Thoughts: Why Can’t I Download Snapchat?
In conclusion, the answer to your question, ‘why can’t I download Snapchat’ is not as simple. This is because various reasons are associated with not being able to download the Snapchat app, such as a weak internet connection, a glitch in the software, an old software version, etc.
This brings us to the end of our guide on why can’t I download Snapchat. Simply follow the methods mentioned in this guide to get the Snapchat app on your device. In case of further queries or confusion, feel free to utilize the comments section below. We’ll try our best to assist you further.
- Why Won’t Snapchat Let Me Add Someone
- How to Save A Snapchat Video Someone Sent You
- When Does Snapchat Update Your Location
- How to Bypass Snapchat Verification Code
- How Accurate Is Snapchat Location 2022