TikTok is one of the fastest growing platforms of today. Millions of users download this app every day on either their Apple or Android devices. Not only is this social media platform providing users with entertainment, but many also use it to earn money by uploading interesting content.
But no app is perfect in every way, and minor issues and temporary glitches are bound to happen. When it comes to TikTok, many users have reported that their app loads and refreshes every time they leave the app. And it becomes irritating for users as this seems to occur whenever they launch the application.
If you find yourself in a similar situation, look no further as this guide will take you along all the possible ways you can resolve the TikTok keeps refreshing problem. So, read till the end of this guide to find out.
Let’s get started!
Why Does TikTok Keep Refreshing When I Leave the App
You may have noticed that as you leave the TikTok app and come back to it later, your feed has been refreshed. While it may be cool for some, others find it rather annoying because they may have stopped watching a video in the middle to resume it later. Instead, they come back to a new TikTok in its place.
There are a few causes behind why does TikTok keep refreshing when I leave the app. The most common reason is that the Background App Refresh feature is turned on on your device.
Apart from that, TikTok servers may be under maintenance, or there may be a bug within the TikTok app. The app cache being full is yet another reason for this problem.
Keep reading to learn about each of these reasons in detail:
1. Background App Refresh is Enabled.
The Background App Refresh gives apps the option to refresh and update with new information even when you’re not using the app. The app continuously runs in the background and loads new data.
While it may be beneficial for some apps you regularly use, keeping it on for the TikTok app may be the reason why your TikTok feed keeps refreshing.
2. There’s A Bug in the TikTok App.
Temporary and minor bugs come with every app you have on your device. These can prevent the normal functioning of the app and may cause several problems, such as the TikTok app refreshing problem.
3. TikTok Servers May Be Under Maintenance.
If the problem is from the developer’s side, using any fixes to solve your issue may be of no use. When the app servers are down or under maintenance, it may be due to a glitch or bug in the app that the developers are trying to fix. In such cases, you can only wait til they resolve it.
4. TikTok App Cache is Full.
Another reason TikTok keeps refreshing when you leave the app is an excessive cache built-up. When the cache for TikTok is full, it may start to interfere with how the app works and cause various issues. That’s why it’s suggested that you clear the app cache after some time.
How to Fix TikTok Keep Refreshing Problem
Now that you know the causes behind Why does TikTok keep refreshing when I leave the app, let’s move forward to how you can fix this issue. Following are some of the methods that you can use to prevent the TikTok app from frequently refreshing.
1. Disable Background App Refresh.
As stated above, the enabled Back App Refresh option is one of the most common causes behind TikTok keeps refreshing. The app will continue to load in the background regularly, causing the issue you’re facing while draining your phone’s battery.
Therefore, it becomes necessary to disable this function to fix the problem. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch Settings from your device.
- Now, go to General.
- Tap on Background App Refresh.
- Look for TikTok and turn the toggle off next to it.
2. Check Your Internet.
Checking the strength of your internet connection is an essential step whenever you come across any problem similar to Why does TikTok keep refreshing when I leave the app. A poor internet connection causes your app to stop loading and will reload the app whenever the connection improves.
So, ensure that you have a stable internet connection in the form of Wi-Fi, mobile data, etc. Follow these instructions given below to check your Wi-Fi strength and change it if necessary:
- Go to Speedtest by Ookla.
- Tap on GO and wait for the page to load.
- Check the strength of your internet connection. If the strength is low, move to the next step.
- Head to Settings and tap on Wi-Fi.
- Then, turn the toggle off for Wi-Fi.
- Go back to Settings and tap on Cellular.
- Lastly, turn on the toggle for Cellular Data.
This method should resolve your issue. If the problem persists, continue reading this guide for more ways to fix it.
3. Restart TikTok.
If your internet is working fine and you’ve already disabled Background App Refresh, another earlier fix for Why does TikTok keep refreshing when I leave the app is to restart your TikTok app. Frice stopping the app stops it from running in the background and is useful in getting rid of any temporary malfunction.
Below is what you need to do:
- Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to open App Switcher.
- Now, swipe right to look for TikTok’s preview.
- Swipe up from there to force stop the TikTok app.
- Afterward, tap on the TikTok app from your home screen to restart it.
4. Clear TikTok Cache.
Although app cache is useful data that improves your in-app experience, it may get full over time and cause all sorts of problems while running the app. One such issue may be the TikTok app keeps refreshing. Hence, clearing the TikTok cache can be helpful in resolving your issue.
You can clear the TikTok app cache by following the steps provided below:
- Open Settings and select Apps.
- Find and tap on TikTok.
- Now, choose Storage.
- Lastly, tap on Clear cache.
This should fix your issue. If the TikTok app is still refreshing, keep reading this guide.
5. Restart Your Device.
Restarting your device is one of the easiest and quickest ways to get rid of minor issues and temporary bugs. As you restart your phone, any ongoing process is eliminated, and the memory is refreshed. This helps prevent your TikTok app from refreshing whenever you open it.
To restart an Apple device, follow these steps:
- Press and hold the Side button and release it once the slider appears.
- Drag the slider to the right to turn off your phone.
- Restart your device by pressing and holding the Side button, and let go once you see an Apple logo on your screen.
Here’s how to restart your Android device:
- Start by pressing and holding the Lock button and select Power off from the options given.
- After a few seconds, restart your device by pressing and holding the Lock button again.
6. Update the TikTok App.
One should always keep all their phones’ apps up to date to lower the chances of them causing any issues. New app updates are essential to download since they remove any bugs or errors that may be occurring with your TikTok app.
If the methods mentioned above proved to be of no help, consider updating the TikTok app to fix your problem.
Follow these steps to update the TikTok app on your Android:
- Go to the Play Store from your device.
- Select the Profile icon from the top-right corner and choose Manage apps and device.
- Tap on Updates Available.
- Look for TikTok and tap on the Update button next to it.
Here’s what you need to do to update the TikTok app on your iPhone:
- Launch the App Store from the home screen of your phone.
- Next, tap on your Profile icon present in the upper-right corner.
- Scroll down to the Upcoming Automatic Updates section.
- Find TikTok and tap on Update next to it.
7. Uninstall and Reinstall the TikTok App.
Sometimes, even updating TikTok may not remove the bug that was causing the TikTok keeps refreshing issue. In such cases, you may want to uninstall the app from your device. Then, reinstall the TikTok app from the app store.
Below are the steps you need to follow:
- Find and hold on to the TikTok app from the home screen.
- After that, select Remove App.
- From the confirmation box, tap on Delete App.
- Now, reinstall the app by going to the App Store on your device.
- Tap on the Search tab from the bottom bar.
- In the search bar, type in ‘tiktok.’
- Finally, tap on the download icon next to TikTok to reinstall it.
8. Update Your Phone’s Software.
Software updates are just as important as app updates. If many users report a similar issue within the operating system, the developers tend to roll out a new update to remove any bugs that may cause such a problem.
Hence, check for these updates once in a while and update your software if there’s a pending update.
- Go to Settings and tap on General.
- From there, select Software Update.
- Wait for the page to load and show you a pending update. Install it to your device by tapping on Download & Install.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Why does TikTok keep glitching?
If you find that your TikTok is lagging or glitching occasionally, the first thing you need to do is check the strength of your internet connection. The connectivity issues may be what’s causing your TikTok not to work properly. This may result in being unable to load, watch, and save videos on TikTok. Other than that, ensure that your app is up to date.
2. Why is my TikTok not working?
TikTok may not work due to several reasons, such as a poor internet connection, an outdated app, or too much app cache. Once you figure out the cause behind the issue, you may be able to fix it by connecting to a strong internet connection, updating the app, clearing out the cache, etc.
Wrapping Up: Why Does TikTok Keep Refreshing When I Leave the App
You may come across the TikTok app that keeps refreshing due to various reasons. Either TikTok servers are down, you have a poor internet connection, or the app cache is full. Apart from that, a bug within the app or your device’s operating system may cause the same problem.
This sums up our guide on Why does TikTok keep refreshing when I leave the app. Hopefully, your issue has been resolved by following the methods mentioned above. If you have further queries, don’t forget to use the comments section below. We’ll try our best to help you further.
- Why Can’t I Like Videos on TikTok
- Why Can’t I See Profile Views on TikTok
- [Fixed] Failed to upload and has been saved to drafts tik tok
- How to Let People Save Your TikToks
- Why Is TikTok Taking Up So Much Storage