Wondering how to hide comments from someone on Instagram?
There are both benefits and drawbacks to using any social media platform, and Instagram is no exception to that. In fact, since it provides more visual media than any other platform and has millions of users, avoiding its negative aspects becomes more challenging.
One of the worst things you could be facing online is cyberbullying. It is also very common and thus becomes difficult for the app developers to catch. While you can easily block people from sending you hateful messages, people are not quite sure how to deal with them under their posts.
Fortunately, you landed on just the right page. Here, we’ll give you an insight into the evolution of a few features on Instagram and how you can deal with online trolls and haters. All of that while not spreading any negativity on the platform.
So without any delay, let’s get straight to it!
Can You Hide Comments From Someone on Instagram
If you’re an Instagram user from the very start, you must know how far the platform has come, especially in terms of updates for comments. In the early years, users had to be extra careful while commenting since they could not be edited or deleted later.
Now, we’ve come to the point where we not only have the control to edit or delete comments but also react to them, turn off your comment section, prevent certain groups from commenting, and even make some comments invisible to all others.
All these features were released by Instagram to enhance engagement and also provide the users with a safer environment where they have control over their own content. Moreover, they help prevent cyberbullying to a great extent.
While you cannot hide your entire comment section from specific people, you have the power to hide specific comments from all your followers by either blocking your comment section or restricting users. Not only that, you can now hide comments containing words of your choice, just like on Youtube.
To learn how to make use of all these features, continue reading!
How to Hide Comments From Someone on Instagram
There are quite a few options you can go for if you want to hide comments from someone on Instagram. Let’s take a look at each one of them in detail.
1. Hide Your Comment Section:
Instagram lets you hide the entire comment section so that no one can add their comment under your post. So, if you want to hide comments from someone, you can simply turn off the comment section for your posts. This is also a great option for times you post something that may trigger a lot of people or when you don’t want to affect your mental peace by haters.
The comment section is hidden for posts separately. That means when you disable comments for one post, people will still be able to leave comments on other posts unless you disable theirs as well. Here’s how you can do it:
If you decide to turn off commenting while sharing a post
- Go to Advanced Settings from the Write a caption screen.
- Next, turn the toggle on for the Turn Off Commenting option.
- Now when you go back and share the post, people will not be able to add a comment under that post.
If you’ve already shared the post and realized later that it’d be best to disable its comment section:
- Open Instagram and go to the Profile tab.
- Then, tap on the post you’d like to disable the comment section for.
- Next, tap on the three horizontal dots menu in the upper right corner.
- From the pop-up options, choose Turn Off Commenting.
2. Restrict Users:
When you block your comment section, it is visible to everyone which may somewhat offend the users. To overcome this issue, Instagram recently released a feature called Restrict. It allows you to hide certain people’s comments without them ever finding out. Instagram says it did this so that the already terrible situation doesn’t escalate.
When you restrict a user, the comments that they leave under your post will only be visible to you and them. None of your other followers will be able to view that comment. This goes for all the posts shared on your profile.
So if you want to hide comments from someone for the time being and you have a limited number of users that comment under your posts, simply restrict them. That way, the comments will be there, but no one will be able to view them except for you and the user that left them.
Here’s how to do it the easiest way:
- Launch the Instagram app on your device.
- Tap on the Profile tab at the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Next, go to the post that has a comment from the user you’d like to restrict.
- Tap on the Comments icon to view all comments.
- Now, tap on the three horizontal dots at the top right corner.
- Then, choose Manage comments under For this post from the pop-up options.
- Select the comment of the user you want to restrict and tap on the Restrict option from the bottom.
- Finally, press Restrict account for confirmation.
Alternatively, you may:
- Open the Instagram app and go to the Explore tab.
- Tap on the Search bar at the top and type the user account you wish to restrict.
- From the search results, tap on their profile.
- Then, tap on the three horizontal dots at the top right corner of their profile and select Restrict.
- Choose the Restrict Account option to verify your action.
Another way you can do it is by:
- First, go to the Profile tab.
- Tap on the Hamburger menu icon at the upper right corner of your screen and choose Settings.
- Then, tap on Privacy.
- From there, scroll down and tap on Restricted Accounts.
- Tap on the Continue button to access your restricted accounts list.
- Tap on the Search bar and type the username of the person you want to add to the list.
- From the search results, tap on the Restrict button next to their username.
By restricting all users that left comments under your posts, you can hide comments from someone on Instagram.
3. Use Filter.
Similar to turning off comments for a post, filtering words will hide comments from all your followers and not someone specific. But if you want to do it for a short period, this is a great option.
You can go to your account settings and add certain words from comments you want to hide to the list of the hide. Instagram will detect the words and their common misspellings and prevent users from viewing those comments.
Below are the steps you need to follow:
- Firstly, open Instagram and navigate to your Profile tab.
- Then, tap on the Hamburger menu icon and select Settings.
- Now, go to Privacy and choose Hidden Words.
- From there, toggle on Hide comments under the Custom words and phrases section.
- Next, tap on Manage list.
- Type the words, separate them with commas, and tap on Add.
Remember, the words you type should be on the comments you want to hide from someone on Instagram.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How do I hide chat on my Instagram Live?
Instagram has not yet released an option where you can hide your chat on Instagram Live. However, what you can do instead is disable comments on your Live. For that, as soon as you go Live, tap on the three vertical dots next to the comment box and select “Turn Off Commenting” from the pop-up options.
Does Instagram notify when you restrict someone?
No, the restricted person will never be notified. In fact, Instagram rolled out this feature in order to control a despicable situation. Everything will be normal on the user’s end as they will still be able to add and view their comments. They will also be able to send you messages and open your profile.
Can you hide your posts from someone on Instagram?
Unfortunately, you don’t have the option to hide posts from certain people added to your followers’ list. If you don’t want your posts to be visible to someone, you can block the user. If your account is private, simply removing them will do the job.
Wrapping Up: How to Hide Comments From Someone on Instagram
We understand that it sometimes becomes necessary to hide comments from someone on Instagram. For this reason, we have listed some workarounds in this guide that will help you do the task.
On this note, we end our guide and hope that you found the listed methods helpful to hide comments from someone on Instagram. If you still have any questions, do not hesitate to deliver them to us through the comment section below. We’ll be happy to provide further assistance.